Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Pine Cone



Daniel and I went on a search for pine cones last weekend.  The plan was to roll the cones in peanut butter and birdseed and then hang them up for the birds.  So off we went across the street to comb the grass for fallen pine cones.  There is no lack of trees at this park, but of course we need pine trees.  


It quickly became evident that the squirrels had gotten there first.  We found a large selection of chewed-up pine cone nubs.  That's the only way to describe them:  nubs.  I believe the squirrels eat them like corn on the cob.  These were most definitely NOT going to work.  




We continued on.  Daniel has already lost interest and he is no help at all.  I'm on my own in my search for intact pine cones.  I scan the sprawling grass ahead of us.  There is not a pine cone to be seen.  I'm hoping that there's one hiding in the grass somewhere, just left there for us to find.  Nothing.  The true irony hits me when I look up at the beautiful, large tree looming above us FULL of pine cones.  


You would think one generous squirrel could kick one down for me.  I just need one.  This is not going well.   I see them,  there's tons of them, but I can't hope to reach one because it's too high and not within my grasp.  Disgruntled, we press on.


Somewhere along the way,  don't ask me where,  I find one.  It's so small that it's laughable, but I'm desperate at this point.  I bag the cone.  I figure I can make do with it.   

Back at the house we make the birdseed hanger.  If birds could  talk I'm sure they took one look at this and said, "How are we supposed to land on that?"  Of course I hadn't thought of a landing strip until it was hanging up and I watched a little nuthatch attempt a landing.  Not good.  The following day, still undaunted and determined to embrace the second-rate pine cone, I rigged two heavy twigs to the bottom of the cone.  I was very pleased with myself, thinking I had fixed the problem, and I expectantly waited for some more takers.

Later that day I looked out the window to find that my remodeled pine cone was now gone.  The string was hanging up and over the gazebo with a frayed end.  This was definitely the work of a squirrel.  So much for my pine cone project.  I chalked that one up to a learning experience.


Outsmarted by this???



It was time for Daniel and I to run some errands, one of which included going through the Bank of America drive-thru.  We pull into the lot and laying in the entrance to the drive-thru on the black asphalt is a large, perfectly intact -- you guessed it -- pine cone.  I was immediately struck by the comedy of this moment.  Number one, there isn't a pine tree in sight.  Number two, what's a pine cone doing in the Bank of America drive-thru?  And number three, why hasn't it been run over by now?  I jumped out of the car barely able to contain myself.  

First of all, God cares about the little things.  He's busy running the Universe, you know, and yet he sends me a pine cone.  I immediately thought about the message behind this divine offering.  I really couldn't miss it.  Our family is facing some of the most daunting financial circumstances unlike any we've ever faced in years past.  Jesus didn't just drop a pine cone in a drive-thru for me that day, He reminded me of His faithfulness to provide in unexpected ways and in unexpected places.  

"Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not worth much more than they?"  Matt. 6:26

I don't need to accept the second-rate and "fix" the circumstances I'm in;  I need to be still and quiet and wait for God to provide the perfect.  Just as I couldn't reach those pine cones in the tree at the park, I have to wait for God to release His blessings in His time.  His gifts are so much better than my homespun imitations.

God, You have never failed to provide for me.  Not once.  I have never gone hungry.  I have never been homeless. I have never had lack of something to wear.  I have never been in true want.  You always provide on time, every time.  Your faithfulness is a banner that waves midst the storms of struggle.  You are forever faithful and trustworthy.


Selah...





4 comments:

Joanne Sher said...

LOVE this. So much truth - and fun too :)

nancy mcelroy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nancy mcelroy said...

Beautifully written, Robin. :)

Unknown said...

Robin-

I may be able to help you and Daniel. I'm VP of Production at TeachTown, a company dedicated to helping special needs students and children with autism. Call me at 818-212-2838. If I can help you out in any way I will. I know how hard this must be for you, but there is hope.

It's been a long time since we last saw each other. Would love to hear from you.

–Michael Hernandez